Rabu, 19 Juni 2013

One More To Go...

"In related news, Kleenex sales have skyrocketed in the San Antonio area..."
-A.J. Davidson- (via facebook)

"@coachatx.  How ya doing?  What a tough loss.  Worse choke of all time?"
-@Robvegaspoker- (via twitter)



Good morning everyone.  I'm going to keep today's post short and sweet (relatively speaking)...  :)  Above is what I woke up to this morning after watching one of the most hotly contested basketball games that I've ever seen.  WONDERFUL...  (And I use your word quite a bit Kelley)...  In case you missed last night's basketball game (well, then you're probably lost if you're here reading this blog), the Miami Heat beat the San Antonio Spurs 103-100 in overtime in Game 6 of the NBA Finals, knotting the series at 3-3, and forcing a seventh and deciding game that will be played in Miami tomorrow night.  You may have noticed that I changed the colors of the blog today in honor of my Spurs.  I also included a little bit of gold since it is the NBA Finals...  ;)

How did you respond to the status and the tweet that are shown above Coach?  Well, let me start by saying that I have no issues with either A.J. or Rob (other than the fact that they're Mavericks and Lakers fans, respectively)...  ;)  In response to A.J.'s status, I commented, "In other news, the Dallas area has an abundance of Kleenex since they didn't play in any meaningful games..."  In response to Rob (who has a blog listed in the links on the right), I tweeted, "I'm fine.  I'm sure that you're talking about the officials, choking on their whistles???"  Rob and I ended up trading tweets for about the next twenty minutes, and I'll touch on those in the following paragraph(s).

What are your thoughts on the game Coach?  Well, for starters, I predicted that the series would go the full seven games, and I took the Spurs to win it.  Since Rob and I had the twitter discussion this morning, let me say here that he also expected a close series, and that he gave Miami a slight edge.  As for last night, the Spurs had their chances to win the game.  Obviously, in a game that went to overtime and was eventually decided by only three points, you can point to almost any missed shot, missed free throw, bad call, non-call, etc... as being huge.  The play that stands out in my mind, the instance when I fear that the championship slipped through the Spurs fingers (for last night) took place at the end of regulation when LeBron James missed on the 3-point attempt with 27 seconds left to go.  Three Spurs went up with each other fighting for the rebound, which resulted in the ball being tipped to a Heat player (Miller?) who passed the ball back out to James, who this time ended up hitting the shot, closing the gap to 2 points.  Ginobili and Leonard (who played very well last night) each missed a free throw down the stretch that would have been big.  Again, the Spurs had their chances...  The most frustrating part of the game for me was that in spite of these specific instances (and these instances are just a few of MANY - for example, there were poor calls the whole game, both ways, numerous missed shots, etc...), Ginobili was fouled in the lane driving to the hoop with the Spurs only down one point, and the referees ate their whistles.  Not long afterward, Danny Green was fouled shooting a game-tying three-pointer, and nothing was called.  Despite what Jeff Van Gundy said during last night's telecast, a foul isn't only a foul during the first 46 minutes of the game.  I PROMISE YOU that nowhere in the rulebook is that stated.  Officials, if you see a foul, CALL IT...  If Ginobili gets the call on his foul, he's shooting twice from the line, down by a point, with just seconds to go in the game.

Anyway, back to my chat with my friend Rob, I tried to pin him down on this being the worst choke of all time, because I have watched A LOT of sports, and the Spurs had to come back very late in the game to even take the five point lead.  Then he added that it was the worst coaching job ever, which also got me going.  "All time" and "ever" are pretty broad statements, which was the crux of our discussion.  Rob ended up quoting Magic Johnson and giving me a link to some San Antonio columnist (I never clicked it Rob).  I'm saying this to Rob's credit, because when I tried to pin him down on "ALL TIME" and "EVER," he ended up telling me that he was using hyperbole...  For those of you who aren't my friends on facebook or followers of my twitter account (shame on you), Magic Johnson gave the Spurs "no chance of winning" after Game 4, and I would NEVER use him as a source for ANYTHING now...  :)  Anyway, the idea of the "old team" that many considered a "big underdog" (has Vegas ever favored the Spurs in this series?) somehow pulling the biggest choke job EVER made me shake my head.  It's a good thing that I have some Kleenex, right?  ;)

Enough of that.  As a Spurs fan, I'll be rooting til the very end tomorrow night, whether the Spurs win, lose, tie, it gets rained out..., whatever...  Ask people who really know me how prone I am to giving up...  :)  By the way, I'm watching ESPN's 'First Take' right now, and they can take away Steve Javie's mircophone when they take Magic's also...  #goodnessgracious  The Spurs will get to keep this revamped blog look until July 1st, win or lose, and then it's changing...  :P

I hope that you have a great day, and that you will be treated to another overtime game in the Stanley Cup Final.  The overtime is a lot more fun in the hockey than it is in the baskeball...  ;)  Have a good one!
  

    


1 komentar:

  1. This post was also from my blog 'Bikini Hill, 6th, & The Strip' at http://bikinihill.blogspot.com/ Please remove all of my posts from this blog or I will keep reporting you...

    BalasHapus